North London Dance Centre has two spacious, air-conditioned studios at our location at 1055 Sarnia Road in North London, near the intersection of Sarnia Road and Hyde Park Road. For the safety of all our dancers, professional-grade sprung floors are installed in both studios. Convenient, free parking is available directly outside of the school’s main entrance, as well as to the rear of the building.
We believe in a balanced approach to teaching where students of all ages and abilities are strongly encouraged to work toward their individual potential, while still having a fun and enjoyable experience. Dance is a wonderful art form which allows dancers of all ages to experience the joy of movement and music in a supportive environment. Self-confidence, coordination, musicality, strength, flexibility, posture, poise, and self-discipline, are all characteristics that we strive to develop over the course of training.
Academic Year and Fee Schedule
Our academic year commences September 7, 2021. Tuition for Term 1, September to December, is collected at the time of registration, and tuition for Term 2, January to June, is due by December 5th. Classes are filled on a first come, first served basis. Students can be placed on a waiting list if classes are full. Summer classes, summer camps, PA Days, and special guest workshops are registered for separately. We have no separate registration fee at North London Dance Centre.
Mon. Sept. 5, 2022 – Studio Closed for Labour Day
Sun. Oct. 9, 2022 – Studio Closed for Thanksgiving Sunday
Mon Oct. 10, 2022 – Studio Closed for Thanksgiving Monday
Mon. Dec. 12, 2022 – Sat. Jan. 7, 2023 – Studio Closed for Christmas Break
Mon. Feb. 20, 2023 – Studio Closed for Family Day
Sun. Mar. 12 – Sat. Mar. 18, 2023 – Studio Closed for March Break
Fri. Apr. 7, 2023 – Studio Closed for Good Friday
Sun. Apr. 9, 2023 – Studio Closed for Easter Sunday
Mon. Apr. 10, 2023 – Studio Closed for Easter Monday
Mon. May 22, 2023 – Studio Closed for Victoria Day
Refund Policy (Academic Year) – Students are committed to a full term with their registration (September to December or January to June) as a spot has been reserved in that class for the term. If you wish to discontinue a class or classes before January 10th, for any reason, this request must be made in writing via email, to notify North London Dance Centre. A $25 cancellation fee will be charged per class, and any refunds given are on a pro-rated basis from the written notification date. We do not offer any refunds for the academic terms after January 10th. Non-attendance does not constitute withdrawal from the school. Students registered for first term, September to December, will automatically be enrolled in second term, January to June, unless a family informs NLDC in writing. Our programs are designed for the academic year.
Refund Policy (Summer Mini-Sessions) – Requests for refund must be made in writing a minimum of three weeks prior to the start of class via email to notify North London Dance Centre. A $25 cancellation fee will be charged per class.
Refund Policy for Camps – No cancellations, refunds or credits are available for camps as a spot has been reserved for your child.
Late tuition payments are subject to a $20.00 late fee, which is automatically applied to unpaid accounts the day after fees are due.
Performing is an integral part of our academic year classes, and any formal dance education. It is the culmination of the time and effort put into one’s class work. All of our academic season classes perform in both our December “Winterlude” demonstration, as well as our season end recital in June, “Let’s Dance”. Both shows are ticketed, formal presentations at professional theatres.
Winterlude will be December 10 & 11, 2022.
Let’s Dance will be June 4, 5 & 6, 2023
There are additional performance fees for students to participate. Performance fees are non-refundable, and are due by November 1st. Performance fees will be calculated at $155+HST for a dancer’s first class & $116+HST for subsequent classes. Performance fees include digital downloads of the video footage of any shows a dancer performs in, a costume for the June recital, and a group class photo taken in costume in June. Participation in our shows is optional, but strongly encouraged as a component of any dancer’s training. Dancers who miss 50% or more (5 or more) of the last 10 classes OR both of the two last classes leading up to our shows, will not be eligible to perform with their class, regardless if performance fees have been paid.
Tickets for our performances are available one month before the shows from our online box office at www.onstagedirect.com/northlondon. Those wishing to attend the performance are responsible for purchasing their tickets in advance of the show, and seating is assigned. Personal photography and videography within the theatre is not permitted so that all patrons may enjoy the show without distraction.
Student Opportunities at NLDC
Limited volunteer Teaching Assistant opportunities are available to interested and energetic NLDC students who are at least nine years old, take at least 2 classes per week, reliably attend 95% of their own classes, and are interested in working with children. Interested dancers should email the Director by September 1st of each year. Candidates will not be considered if they are taking classes at other dance schools. Many of our older students use these volunteer hours towards their required high school volunteer hours.
6 Reasons Why Parents Choose Us
Why do parents choose our dance school? We’re certainly not the only option out there, and over the past 23 years we have seen other schools open and close in our area.
- Whether a student is going to be a professional dancer or not, every single student who walks through our door is important to us. We love the dancer who just comes once a week, as much as we love the dancer who dances 10+ hours a week.
- We employ only experienced teachers who have certifications in the teaching of dance from internationally recognized dance associations, and/or professional training in dance. All students, ages 2-Adult, deserve to receive proper dance instruction from professional teachers.
- Our class sizes are restricted to 12 dancers maximum to ensure every dancer gets personalized attention from their instructor.
- Transparency – parents are able to observe class from the lobby with our live feed from the studios.
- Our studios use only fully sprung, professional dance flooring. This is important because dance is a very physical activity that requires a lot of jumping, and proper flooring is built to absorb impact, and take away pressure on the knees and joints of a dancer.
- Customer service – at many studios parents feel out of the loop when it comes to receiving information & having their questions answered, especially if they are new to dance. Our faculty and staff are friendly, and well-informed with up to date information, and parents are also with our monthly newsletters, email reminders & social media streams.
Our 2022-2023 Uniform Requirements
Q: Why is there a set dress code for dance classes?
A: We maintain a set dress code for a number of reasons, some of which are as follows:
- It enables our faculty to more easily assess and provide corrections to a dancer’s body alignment and positioning
- A dress code teaches students discipline, helping with overall focus and energy
- By “dressing the part” dancers feel like dancers
- Dress codes create unity among the dancers
- Dress codes minimize distractions, and help give classes a unified look
- It encourages concentration and a sense of inclusiveness in class
- It enables us to easily ‘dress up’ a class for our Winterlude showcase in December, using our set uniform as a base
Q: What is the dress code for adults?
A: Adults are welcome to wear any exercise clothing they are comfortable in with footwear appropriate for the class.
Q: What is the dress code for toddlers?
A: Toddler Time students are welcome to wear any dancewear or activewear they are comfortable in with bare feet for the class.